Goodbye dear Ginger


Many of you know my dear friend, Ginger Ropp (aka "My Sisters Scrapper"). A talented, fun, spitfire of a lady who I've been lucky to call my friend for almost 10 years now. Like me, she's been part of the crafting community for a long time. (If you ever want to learn how to make a mini album, just visit her YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/mysistersscrapper. She's the Queen!) 

We've attended Creativation together several times, served on the Graphic 45 design team together, taught creative classes together, hosted our annual Creative Mountain Retreat together, and talk on Marco Polo constantly. This year would have been our fifth and final year of our retreat, but as many of you already know, Ginger passed away just a few days ago after her battle with Covid. While I am deeply saddened by this loss, I am not here today to be glum about it. I prefer to honor her with some photos and memories. Here are a few with some descriptions below each. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

The first time we met at CHA (what we now called Creativation). We were both on the Graphic 45 design team back then.


This was on a planning trip to Portland, back when Ginger lived in Washington and we were trying to decide where to host our retreat. At first we thought somewhere near Portland, which is also near the Graphic 45 office. We drove all over looking at Inns and hotels. 


We, of course, had to visit the Graphic 45 office and then were treated to dinner by the G45 family.


We eventually went to Seattle and enjoyed all the touristy things to do there. These delicious goodies were rice crispy treats covered in chocolate.


Then came our first retreat at Echo Mountain Inn in Hendersonville, NC. The friendship was officially solidified at this point. We were like a couple of giggling school girls.


Then a year flew by and we had our second retreat!


And our third.


Even though we both were travel teaching all over the states, this retreat became our most favorite event. It was a pure joy to do together. No drama, no hassles. Just two "sisters" having fun.


In between those retreats, we still saw each other at Creativation in January.


No matter the event, there always seemed to be whiskey involved. It became a tradition at all our retreats.


Pajama Day at the retreat is always the last day, so everyone can relax and unwind and finish up their projects from the weekend. And Ginger and I finally got a chance to sit down. This picture makes me smile because when Ginger first saw it, she gasped and said, "What's that pink thing in between your legs?!! It was the drawstring, of course, but we did have a big laugh over that one.


I went to Arizona shortly after she moved there, for another planning session for the next retreat. We spent a lot of time driving around Arizona considering a new location, but we ended up returning to the Echo Mountain Inn again. It was just the perfect place.


And, of course, while near Phoenix we had to stop in at the fabulous Scraps Of Love where I got to meet Chris and her daughter Sam, and even got to jump in on their Sunday Facebook Live session.


Another Creativation together. A highlight is the Graphic 45 family dinner. 


This is a favorite. Ginger and I got ourselves into this designer's challenge at Creativation and here Ginger is taking her turn. You had about a minute to make something out of the supplies they put in front of you. She was a RIOT!


Our fourth retreat, last Fall 2020, was very different. All guests wore masks, stayed as safe as possible, and we had a fantastic time. Absolutely NO ONE got Covid as a result of this gathering. 


Once we got outside, we quickly pulled off the masks for a quick picture. I'm glad we did. At this time, we agreed to do just one more retreat together and then move on to other ventures. 

Sadly, here we are now in 2021, wrapping up all the details for this final retreat, and she got Covid in early September. Three weeks of a very hard fight in the ICU, and then she was gone.

The retreat will go on, and we will honor her in spirit, and I'll be sure to share it all with you in my annual video, as well as on my social media.


To wrap up this post, I wanted to share this last photo. This might be my most favorite of all. It's a screen shot of us on Marco Polo, which we used to communicate all the time. All. The. Time. I have tons and tons of conversations between us that are all saved. And yes, I have already gone back and watched many of them and will continue to for as long as I can. As you can see, we laughed a lot. A whole lot. We shared what we were working on, we worked out ideas together, and we unloaded when we needed to do that too. I think this is what I am going to miss the most.


Rest in peace my dear Ginger. I miss you so much already.

Comments

  1. Such a beautiful tribute to such a beautiful soul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! What a great tribute to a great friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tribute. She will live on in your wonderful memories of her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful homage, my dear Annette.
    Thank you for showing us that just followed Ginger's blog, the funny and wonderful friend she was. I'm sure some day you will remember her with a smile.
    A big hug,
    Guida

    ReplyDelete
  5. A truly fitting tribute for Ginger. She was loved by many and will be missed greatly. I feel so blessed to have been able to call her my friend, and loved hanging with her at some of the retreats. A truly talented sweet lady! Brenda Crouch

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet. We will all miss her greatly. She got me hooked on making albums, and I will remember her with every album I make. I started watching old videos today. Hope they leave her youtube channel up so that others can benefit from her talent for years to come. The retreat will be bitter sweet without her. Din't forget the whiskey, we will all need it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very saddened by Ginger’s passing but oh what a beautiful tribute you wrote, Annette. Kudos to you for carrying on with the retreat as I know Ginger would want that. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a loving tribute to Ginger. It is very clear to see that the two of you shared a very special bond. She was an inspiration to so many crafters, including me. I will miss seeing her creations and hearing "This is Ginger from my sister's scrapper" on new videos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful friendship and a Lovely tribute to Ginger. I will miss her and her YouTube videos. She was a creative inspiration to me. I was so saddened to hear of her passing. Rest in Peace Ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your friendship shines thru in our photos and your heartfelt words. She will be sorely missed but her talent and memory will live on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos of the two of you, Annette! What a wonderful tribute to a dear friend! Even though I never met her in person, I felt like I knew her as I watched her videos and things you two did together. I am so very sorry for the loss of such a dear friend. Hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful tribute to a wonderful lady, rest in peace Ginger....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing. She was a brilliant designer whose blog I have followed for many years. You and Ginger share a special friendship, the memories of which will live on in your heart and in these special photos. Stay strong and stay safe. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Annette, what a great loss, i don't know what i must say to you. Wish you all the best and stay strong. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so shocked and sadden by this news, what a beautiful tribute to Ginger! She was an amazingly talented person who shared her talented through her teaching. I can imagine she was an amazing friend as well. I loved Ginger, even though I didn't know her personally in real life. But I felt like I knew her because that is the type of personality she had, she just made you feel so comfortable. Such a beautiful soul indeed and will be missed greatly. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing this wonderful tribute. It is a touching story of close friends.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So very sorry for the loss of your friend Annette! I used to watch Ginger's videos when I was making albums. Such a shock to find out she is gone. Thoughts and prayers with you and Ginger's family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a beautiful tribute to Ginger. Rest in peace. Sending love and prayers ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a wonderful tribute to a truly lovely lady Annette. I feel privileged to have met both of you for dinner at Creativation (along with Linda) and I will always have that happy memory. Thank you so much for sharing such a lovely memories. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Annette, what a special sister friend you had/have. You have honored her memory so beautifully. My heart breaks for you. Sending you, Gingers family and all her fans and friends prayers and love.

    ReplyDelete
  21. you had the privilege to be best friends, so hard to loose a dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful tribute to a friend, confidante and crafting buddy! I am sad for you, her friends and family but rejoice knowing she is healthy, happy and most definitely smiling (and probably laughing) remembering you and your friendship (and shenanigans!). Thank you for sharing her with us!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Omg nooooo I'm balling my eyes out! Another great one gone. First the queen of file folders and drop ins and now Ginger. My heart can't take it. Thank you so much for the legacy you've left behind for us paper crafters Ginger. Oh Annette....what a beatribute. Sending big hugs. Rest peacefully Ginger

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com