Victorian Christmas House

After a wee bit of a blogging break, I'm back today with another Village Dwelling creation based on the theme of "Song Lyrics" over at Creative Carte Blanche this month, where we're challenged to create a project using the lyrics of a song as inspiration.

My song choice is There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays and it couldn't be more true, don't you agree? No matter how far away you are, when you come home for the holidays it's such a warm, familiar feeling. And with Jamie home from her first semester away at college, I find that I'm filled with EXTRA amounts of joy having us all together during this happy time of year. While I love the Perry Como version of this song, I have fond memories of this version by The Carpenters.


I adore the Victorian style, especially homes during the holidays, so I created a miniature Victorian Christmas house mixing several Sizzix dwelling dies and the accessory dies. As I created it over the course of a few days, I enjoyed Christmas music in the background, a hot cup of coffee, and thoroughly got lost in the process. A great feeling! Now, I'm happy to share how I created it with you.


I started with the Village Brownstone in a sea glass colored exterior. To create the appearance of siding, I cut 1/4" strips of the same cardstock, inked the lower long edge and adhered each on the dwelling structure, working around the windows and adding them later.


While researching the Victorian style, I discovered many homes had rounded turrets as part of their architecture. Here's a great website if you'd like to check out some really wonderful Victorian style homes. But how to build my own turret? I wasn't sure if it would work, but I tried the Bell Tower accessory die. I die-cut two of the tower pieces and two roofs, put each together overlapping the first and last portions of each to create a 7-sided tower. It worked!


I created dark gray shingles and some accent trim pieces using the Rooftops die, and randomly pounced ink to create a variation in color.


My turret needed height, so I created a simple 7-sided tower and adhered the top piece and roof as shown here, then added shingles and siding pieces. (Yes, a tedious process, but one I strangely enjoy.)


Next, I finished up the Brownstone structure (above right) by adding the shingles. The main portion of my Victorian house is made from the base Village Dwelling die and the Village Manor accessory die. (I knew when I first assembled the manor for Halloween it would make a wonderful Victorian style home as well, and it's been in the back of my mind ever since.)


After finishing the assembly of the three house parts, I added the front door, the remaining windows and porches (the long porch comes from the Village Surf Shack accessory die). Later, I added windows and a porch floor for the turret as well. 


After adhering the two house pieces together with hot glue, I added the railing which is from the Village Cottage accessory die. I snipped off the tips of the fence pieces and layered a border trim across the top. 


I used this same border trim under windows and other areas of my Victorian house.


My turret needed a base to to match the rest of the house, so I created this piece from cardstock, above. Basically, it's a 7-sided polygon with a 1/4" score all the way around, slits cut at the joints, and assembled in the same fashion as the rectangular porch pieces. After the glue was dry, I cut away the left edge and adhered the base to my existing structure.


More railings around this area. And as you can see, I've added the turret, its windows and trim.


For the snow, I applied Texture Paste and immediately sprinkled Distress Glitter. I set this aside for about 30 minutes to dry. Meanwhile, I created some small accents to adorn my Victorian house.


From the Tidings paper stash, I cut small squares and rectangles of this wood pattern and rolled them up tight and sealed them with glue.


I bundled them together to create a little log pile tied with red twine. 


I die cut several pieces of greenery from the Mini Holiday Greens die, and three small poinsettias from the Sled die (Elizabeth Craft Designs). I added more to the greenery as you'll see. I also used two Jingle Brads on my front door.


I began adding greenery and poinsettias to my house. The log bundle sits on the front porch behind the railing and more greenery adorns the railing. For this, I used the Holly Bead & Snowflake Garland die (an oldie but a goodie) plus some red twine.


My wreath is made from various greenery pieces layered on a circle frame, and is adorned with red Prills. 


I pried the prongs off the two Jingle Brads and hot glued them in place with some greenery.


The turret is adorned in the same way, with another few logs, greenery, and poinsettias.


I took a step back and decided I was done.  


It sure looks sweet with battery-operated tea lights inside. I'd love to live in a house like this. 

What fun it was to create this Victorian House using the parts and pieces from several of the Sizzix dwelling dies. It's one of my favorite things to do! I hope you enjoyed it and hope you join us at Creative Carte Blanche with your creation based on Song Lyrics. Just go to the December challenge page HERE and join the fun!


                                       
                                       

Comments

  1. So amazing. Thanks so very much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I'm so happy you liked it!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! What words can describe this lovely mansion? I love the aqua color and way you combined everything. Brilliant! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no words to tell you how stinkin' amazing you are!!!! That pretty aqua house is just fantastic. I want to live in a Victorian Farmhouse, which is a bit different than this one you so lovingly created, but...with many of the same features....maybe one day..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gloria. Me too! A house like this would be a dream come true. But a girl can dream. Meanwhile, I'll be content to sit and gaze at my tiny one.

      Delete
  4. Wow, amazing project! So beautifully made! I love your Victorian house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment. It was quite fun to make.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the tutorial, the round tower is genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was a bit tricky, but I just had to do it.

      Delete
  6. Aw, Annette this is just perfect. I was wrong about the song, I thought the lyric would be "chestnuts roasting on an open fire" because of that warm light coming from the windows. You've evoked such a sweet, warm feeling with this Victorian house. Merry Christmas to you, Paul and Jamie. <3 <3 <3 (one of each of you)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cheryl! You're very kind. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness. The turret is brilliant. I laughed when I read "a simple 7-sided tower" - as if a 7-sided tower is ever simple. I LOVE this house. Please do you house class again sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks Lucy! The turret was tricky but the tower wasn't too bad. Basically a large rectangle of cardstock scored and folded. Thanks for stopping in to leave a comment.

      Delete
  8. Oh my stars! I keep going back and looking at each photo and rereading each step...soooo many details and certainly a labor of love. Just spectacular!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Susan. True, a labor of love. But so worth the effort in the end. Thanks for the sweet comment.

      Delete
  9. Wow! That home is spectacular. The color choice perfect. Thanks for sharing. WOW WOW WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Gloria! It was so much fun to create.

      Delete
  10. Wow! That home is spectacular. The color choice perfect. Thanks for sharing. WOW WOW WOW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh please can I move in straight away, I would love to spend Christmas in this fabulous Victorian house Annette! I love the way you improvised with the turret, it looks fantastic! All of the little details are brilliant, the wreath, the flowers, the little fence - amazing, just amazing. LOVE it!! Great song choice too! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, we have a first floor room available but the turret is now booked for a holiday brunch everyday through New Years. ;). Thanks so much for your super sweet comment. Glad you liked it!

      Delete
  12. This is very very beautiful and wintry!!! I love this Annette!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie!! Thanks so much for coming by and leaving me a comment. So happy you like it. Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  13. Oh Annette, your house is just wonderful and so detailed. You did an awesome job. Enjoy your Holiday with Jamie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Debbie, thank you so much. It was so kind of you to stop in and leave a nice comment. I hope your holidays are happy too.

      Delete
  14. Your turret blew me away! I LOVE how you think...I am the same way...lol! Gorgeous colors, and gorgeous arrangement of all three...just a winner all around. Thanks for the link on the victorian houses too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your creation is AWESOME. you should be very proud. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to stop in and leave a comment. I appreciate it! And I'm so glad you liked it. Thanks again.

      Delete
  16. Annette this is freaking GORGEOUS!!! My dream is to live in a victorian home some day... Don't know if I will ever have that come true, but it is a dream! This house is just so beautiful!!! And the funny thing is, I live about ten minutes away from a very old victorian home that is just about the exact same color on the outside of the house, as this is on your house! LOL .... You did a fantastic job with this, especially on all the details and added extras! WOW!
    Happy Holidays!
    Hugs,
    Jo
    ♥ Jo's Scrap Shack ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BEST comment EVER! Thank you so much. You absolutely made my day!

      Delete
  17. Fabulous job! What a great house to live in would be:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. So happy you liked it!

      Delete
  18. Totally, completely, utterly AMAZING! I want to move in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! Me too. For now I guess I'll settle for staring at my miniature dream house.

      Delete
  19. What a stunning use of all the fun dies. I love all the details and it's silly but the logs created from the wood tidings is the best feature... oh and the turret. Great I own them all so now I'm totally need to create one. I just need to find some time. So fun and festive. What a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! I know, those logs are kinda cute, right? I love just messing around with these dies. It's all I'd ever do if there weren't other adult responsibilities in life.

      Delete
  20. Please invite me to brunch or tea in your turret! I can just imagine a wonderful little table laid out with a selection of food from your travels and a hot cup of tea whle overlooking a delightful garden view from all the windows. Of course, it would be winter with snow, and red birds at a feeder, also! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mary, shall we say Thursday at 1:00 for tea? ;). Thanks for stopping in and leaving me a comment!

      Delete
  21. So Lovely! Truly enjoyed the tutorial and what a sweet Christmas Victorian house. We used to live in a Victorian house in upstate NY and it was the most fun to decorate at Christmas, just like this!
    Now in Florida...well...its great to have the memories...thanks for the trip down memory lane! :) Merry Christmas to you and yours and TFS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Roxanne, thank you! What I wouldn't give to live in a house like this. You're lucky to have had that opportunity. Thanks for taking the time to leave a sweet comment. It means a lot to me. Merry Christmas to you as well!

      Delete
  22. Amazing...........this is the best house on the market right now. Love the color and the style of your paper house. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Terry! I appreciate it. Glad you liked it!

      Delete
  23. You just blew me away when I saw this Annette! it's gorgeous!GREAT job girl:D TFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million for the nice comment! Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  24. WOW, totally amazing! I LOVE how you combined the dies and tweaked them to make this fab house. love love love it. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is so cool! And I'm floored with how you created the logs - so smart! Thanks for sharing this wonderful tutorial. What a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Holy moly, this is utterly fantastic Annette! What a masterpiece you have created. I love how you worked out the 7 sided turret. That was brilliant. You have added so many wonderful details. Love how you decorated it for Christmas with the garlands and flowers. I'm sure this will be a treasured family keepsake for years to come! Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh this is absolutely beautiful. I love Tim Holtz and did put a spin on it. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love, love, love it. T
    hanks for the tutorial, I will for shore try to make a house like this.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Somehow I missed this, guess I was busy but so happy I discovered it now. What a fantastic project Annette!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com