By the way, I'm entering this into the Simon Says Stamp & Show's "Anything Goes" challenge. I have been having fun checking out all the amazing creations artists are posting there. Join along! Anything goes.
So here's how the clock comes, in case you've never seen one...
It's a pretty good size, too. Measures about 7 inches tall.
Here is my finished clock. It makes me happy when I look at it sitting here on my desk. And the clock really works!
I'll share how I made mine...
First, I took apart the pieces to get to the glass which had to come out so I didn't get paint on it. If you're careful enough, you don't have to do this step. I'm just not that neat. There are a couple small screws holding things together inside, so you need a tiny wrench.
I rummaged through hubby's toolbox and found a set of tiny wrenches. This 7/32 size worked perfectly. If you just get the screw started with the wrench, then it's easy to finish unscrewing with your fingers.
In all the videos I watched, they ALL gessoed their clocks first. They all kept saying how you can't just paint on metal, you have to prime first. But I got to thinking about the Patinas (Ranger/Vintaj) that we used at Ranger University and wondered why they wouldn't work? So I tested it out on a spare tin bucket and it worked great. So I used three colors puddled on my non-stick craft sheet.
I added a large puddle of Patina Extender to the mat too. This helped spread the paint smoothly and extending the drying time a bit so I could mix and work the colors around.
I would recommend starting with the back. This is the lid that pops off the back. Rather than spread the paint in strokes, I splotched it on with a foam brush. I wanted to make sure I could see the three different colors.
I eventually painted the inner portion of the clock body as well. Just didn't get a photo of it.
I also painted the legs and a few embellishments. (The lightbulb didn't make the final cut.) For these smaller pieces, I used the Vintaj buffer to distress them and reveal some of the metal underneath.
I tore small pieces of the Melange Tissue Tape then adhered and sealed them with Studio Multi-Medium. You could also use Mod-Podge or Glue & Seal.
Next, to age it I painted everything with Antiqued Bronze Distress Paint. Once this was all dry I sprayed a clear sealer. (Krylon Satin Finish) Then I popped the glass back into place and screwed the screws and brackets back in.
Now for the clock portion. I found this kit in my local Hobby Lobby for $6.99. The hands are gold, so I painted them with black gesso. Two coats.
For my clock face I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. As I was thinking, I noticed an extra Picture Wheel die cut laying on my shelf. I grabbed it and counted out the spaces and VOILA! Same as a clock. I was so excited! (It doesn't take much) I cut a new picture wheel from a piece of French Industrial paper, and another from black cardstock for added stability. I traced a large circle of teal Kraft Core cardstock and laid it behind to show through the open spaces. For the four numbers, I used Idea-ology Alpha Parts and then filmstrip ribbon for the other spaces attached with the Tiny Attacher stapler. I punched a larger hole through the center for my clock kit to go through.
From black mat board I cut a circle a little larger than the picture wheel. About 4 3/8". This measure worked well so I could wedge and glue the circle in place inside my clock. In this photo, you see the white side of the black mat board. I cut a square hole through the middle to insert my clock kit and picture wheel unit. I used a strong glue to bond these together.
I wedged the clock/picture wheel unit into the clock and added E6000 along the edges to hold. While the glue dried, I painted some grungeboard numbers and gears in the same manner as the clock's parts above.
The numbers were adhered to the sides of the clock using E6000 glue and some firm pressure.
The gears and other Idea-ology pieces were adhered to the front lip of the clock.
Since my Idea-ology pieces were already bronze, I added these without any additional paint.
I love how the image of the three bakers are front and center in my clock.
This project was SO much fun. I can think of several other great ideas I'd like to try with this assemblage clock. Now, to find the time to do them...
Thanks for stopping by!