Wednesday, May 22, 2013

May Journal Page - 12 Tags of 2013

I'm finally getting around to completing my May page for Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2013 challenge. It's not really a challenge, just a fun thing to do every month. Be sure to hop over to Tim's blog to see his awesome tag that inspired me to make my journal page this month. Every month you learn something new and it a great way to get your creative juices flowing. Tim's creating his signature #8 tags and I have challenged myself to create journal pages that will be bound at the end of the year.

If you'd like to review, here are my pages I've done so far this year. January, February, March and April.

And here's a little secret. I actually knew what Tim was going to do for his May tag before the blogosphere did because he taught us this technique at Ranger University and then told us it was going to be May's tag. He calls this technique Distress Stain Remnant Rub Resist.


Okay, here's my page this month...

Now, this one really looks like an art journal page. I'm starting to loosen up a bit, thanks to the inspiring Dyan Reaveley.



My pages are done on Bristol, vellum surface, 100 lb. by Strathmore. Like Tim, I began with the Remnant Rubs elements and started scraping them off randomly onto the page.



I opted for yellows, oranges and reds for my background, so I used the following Distress Stains: Mustard Seed, Rusty Hinge, Wild Honey and Barn Door. Just squeeze out some blobs onto your non-stick craft sheet and then swipe your paper into them until you have good coverage. I spritzed water on mine to help the colors spread. After it was dry, I did the good old spritz and flick technique with water and sopped up the spots with a paper towel. Click on the photo for a close-up.



I stamped these BIG numbers from Tim's Numeric CMS161 set and stamped them randomly with Black Archival ink. 



Tim explains in his post how you can reveal more of the rub-ons after you've stamped over them. Or you can opt for a layered look instead. Here I rubbed away some of the archival black ink while it was pretty wet to reveal more of this flourish rub-on. You have to be careful with this step and only wipe away in the stamped area, not beyond it. Otherwise, you're going to get some black streaks and that's just not pretty.



My photo sort of skips past a step here, but before I did this ticket strip I stamped images from the Papillon stamp set with archival black ink. I let all of this images alone as a top layer. No wiping.



Back to the ticket strip. I cut a piece of red Kraft Core cardstock from Tim's Mini Filmstrip and Tickets die (Sizzix Alterations) and sanded away the some of the surface to reveal the kraft core, then stamped the ticket image with Archival Black ink, and then inked the edges with Walnut Stain. 



I chose the tickets rather than the clear filmstrip tape that Tim used because my page is already filled with so much black the filmstrip got lost. Plus remember, the size of my page is larger than a tag, so proportion is a factor when designing. These tickets were a great alternative.



And speaking of proportion, I opted for a clear oval fragment over the new enamel tags (even though I love those guys) and simply added a backing to it so it wasn't transparent. I used Latte alcohol ink on my fragment, then used Glossy Accents to adhere it to the cream cardstock. After it dried well, I trimmed and sanded any imperfections from the cardstock.



And, of course, rub-ons worked splendidly on the plastic fragment. To finish this piece, I dabbed some Walnut Stain Distress Paint on the edges for an aged effect.



I like how you can see the shadow of the rub-ons. Gives some added dimension. I adhered this to the ticket strip with some Glossy Accents and a copper brad.



To help my Word Band stand out a little better, I rubbed some Picket Fence Distress Paint over the whole thing, waited just a few seconds, then with a clean cloth wiped away the paint from the raised area. Now the white paint is highlighting just the words.



I just love all the layers and dimension this technique creates. I hope you give it a try yourself and see how much fun and easy it is.

Thanks for stopping in today. Have a wonderful Wednesday!



11 comments:

  1. Great take on the May tag! Your color choice and the big numbers make it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. I'm especially smitten when there are shades of Orange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, am officially in love with those big 'ol numbers! Need them!! Beautiful page, love the combo of the rubs and stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The idea of taking his tags and putting them into an art journal page is BRILLIANT !! I'm loving that idea. Love the page

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such gorgeous richness and depth of colour, and the rub-ons look so cool! Like Kim, I'm starting to "need" those numbers!!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scrumptious! Love your colors and those big bold numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love this one! Totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This came out fabulous! I love the vibrant color! I wasn't crazy about the look of the rub on technique when I made mine, but it looks perfect on this piece of art! And, the big numbers really work with this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!! Lots of yummy techniques to use THANKS!! It is a beautiful piece of work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Annette, Gorgeous piece, love the montage collaged background, how you used the tickets and the clear oval element. It gives your piece such wonderful dimension.
    :) Chris / CS Designs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteGreen@bellsouth.net