My creation for this challenge is a journal cover...
The journal is just a bit larger than 5 x 7 inches. A perfect little book to carry along a creative journey.
It started with this Canvas Journal from Close To My Heart. (links below) The intro and ending pages are blank and the remaining 80 pages are lined with pale gray rules.
I grabbed all my Distress Paints and started with a wash of Victorian Velvet. Notice it's not an even coat and also that I put a sheet of wax paper under the cover to keep the pages clean while I worked.
Next is Rusty Hinge dabbed through a stencil (Wendy Vecchi, Studio 490).
I had some corrugated shapes in my stash and found a circle, painted it with Fired Brick and stamped it here and there. Just playing around at this point. Not sure where this is going.
I laid a few more shapes down and shot the cover with a few colors of Dylusions sprays. Wow! Love those bright colors.
But I felt they needed a bit of toning down, so I rubbed some Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain Distress Paint here and there with my finger, and added a bit of Wild Honey too.
I wanted a little white on there, so I painted on this script stamp and stamped in vertically in two places. I wish you could read this stamp because it's great! It's called SheScript. It begins with:
"She was a vintage soul. She loved the everyday. She loved. She had the faith to dream..."
and on it goes. I just love that.
Next I stamped this girl with Archival Black ink onto Sticky Back Canvas, natural. The stamp is called "She was a Daughter" and it's large! From head to toe, she's almost 7 inches high. I cut off her feet for my book. Here I colored her with a water brush after dipping it into Distress Marker colors which were scribbled on my non-stick craft sheet.
There she is ready to be cut out and adhered to the journal cover.
But first, I think she needs some wings. So I cut this shape from some cardboard, painted it white and edged it with Walnut Stain Distress Ink.
Yep. That's what she needed.
I just got this fantastic Tim Holtz Word Play die and was thrilled to finally use it. I cut these letters out of Tim's new paper pack French Industrial and inked the edges with Walnut Stain. The "&" symbol is a corrugated piece from my stash I mentioned earlier. I used it rather than the Word Play one because of its size and relationship to the rest of the elements. Here I am just placing the letters to get an idea of how I want to arrange them.
I painted the "&" symbol with Broken China Distress Paint and then adhered all the letters to the cover with multi-medium. After it dried, I went around the girl and the letters with a charcoal pencil and smudged it with a cotton swab.
Let's not forget the back cover. I used various stencils and colors, then stamped the big butterfly three times with archival black. I finished it off with some white paint stamping and then a coat of sealer to the whole journal.
Here's another look at the finished cover. I hope I've inspired you to use corrugated chipboard on a project of your own.
Here are a few reminders if you decide to play along:
- You do not have to use products sold in the eP store…but we do love it when you do.
- Share a direct link to your creation, not just your blog, using the Linky Tools feature at the end of Bonnie's post. If, for any reason, the Linky Tools doesn’t cooperate, please add a link in the Comments section of the blog.
- When uploading to any online galleries, please use any of the following keywords; eP, eclectic Paperie or eTeam Pick Challenge. Link your creations to the eP blog.
- If you’d like to be considered as one of our featured projects and be entered into our prize drawing, please be sure to add your link no later than 6pm EST on Thursday, April 5.