Compendium of Curiosities Challenge - NYC Configurations Box

As I mentioned a few posts ago, July is my designated "Get 'er done" month, so I grabbed a Configurations Box I've been stashing, the mementos from our New York City trip (a year and half ago), and got busy.

This sure timed out perfectly since the  Studio L3 Compendium of Curiosities challenge this week is Configurations Boxes! You can find some helpful tips on making a configurations box in Tim Holtz's book A Compendium of Curiosities II on pages 33 & 34.


Configurations Boxes are great for all those little doodads you pick up when you're on a trip and don't know what to do with when you get home. For me, I knew I was going to make this box before we went, so I was constantly on the look-out for small souvenirs during the trip.




The Lost & Found paper stash was perfect for this box. I used it exclusively throughout, along with the new Commute Tissue Tape. Perfect!




Mini numerals suspended by stapling them to filmstrip ribbon. Here I painted mine with Pool paint dabber, then distressed the edges with Walnut Stain.




We went during the month of March (Spring Break). Brrr, it was freezing!




I got the old blocks from a local antique store (remember, Lisa?), and although we didn't actually go to the Statue of Liberty, I felt that she really needed to have a place in this box.




My daughter was thrilled to learn that the Nintendo World Store was right near Times Square where we stayed, and the week we were there was the official unveiling of the Nintendo 3DS, so she got to try it out firsthand. The place was packed!




The apple was from my local craft store. One of those miniature foam ones. I sawed it in half and glued it to the back of this cubby hole.




This hanging frame was off of a Hallmark photo display piece I've been holding on to for a long time. To make it hang, I weaved the chain through two jump rings then attached them to a word stick (after drilling a second hole in the word stick) then glued the word stick flat to the lid of this cubby. It was a little tricky, but it worked.




We went to the top of the Empire State Building and then went to Grand Central Station. See the cityscape in the foreground of this cubby? (click on the photo if you can't see it) It's a stamp from Tim's "City Central" set, stamped with Staz-on ink onto clear acetate, then glued to the front lip of this cubby.




We also visited the World Trade Center Memorial. Those blue things you see are little tags we wore while in the museum. It was an emotional experience touring this memorial. They have tissue boxes positioned all around for good reason.




Of course we couldn't miss a trip to Chinatown where we picked up this mink Buddha figurine.




Seeing Phantom of the Opera in New York City has always been a dream of mine, and we were lucky to get very good seats ahead of our trip for the show. While there, we were delighted to find that Daniel Radcliffe was starring in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, so we managed to get tickets for that show too.




I made mini playbills from both shows by scanning the actual ones and shrinking them down in PhotoShop, then created a few more pages joined at the spine and then added some foam tape to pop up the pages on the right side a bit. 


I hope this encourages you to GET SOMETHING DONE with month. Just grab an unfinished project and commit to get it done! Once you start, it's hard to stop until it's complete.


Thanks for coming by today. Now I'm off to check out all the other Configurations creations over at Studio L3. Be sure you check them out too. Great inspiration!










Comments

  1. A-Mazing! I love it. I will definitely be stealing this idea for my annual trip to NYC with Mom to see the Radio City Xmas show in November. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! All of the little details came together perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your configurations box is stunning with beautiful detail. It has been over 40 years since I visited NYC so it brought lots of memories back for me. You havea wonderful keepsake now. Thank you for sharing it. A x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fabulous! Congrats on getting your project finished. Funny, I was just thinking of all the projects I need to complete! Thanks for the inspiration on getting my projects completed. (or at least some of them!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I love this Configuration box is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. TOTALLY awesome job Annette! I'm hoping to do a CA one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annette,

    This configuration box is lovely! I have never actually heard of something like this being made before, but the idea (and execution) is awesome!

    I am always really inspired by all of the artwork that you show on your blog. Your ideas and imagination seem endless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Annette this is just fantastic. So much memory and nik naks have gone into this piece. You will have to give me some tips of where to buy these things for my (hopefully upcoming) trip! I just love all the little bits and stories.
    I saw Phantom of the Opera last month in London. Wasn't it awesome? We had front row Circle seats and I never took my eye off the stage. Fabulous.
    Also, can I ask, where did you stay? Need ideas!
    Thanks for visiting earlier too. Now off to find that tissue tape!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading about your trip to New York and all bit and bob you managed to get in boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous memento with so many wonderful details. Love the Commute Tissue Tape and the Lost & Found paper - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to all for such nice comments. I truly loved doing this project. Sometimes when you get a Configurations box, you just look at it, afraid to get started. Then once you get rolling, it's really fun. As for Samantha's comment: I picked up the little souvenirs at the typical cheesy souvenir shops in Times Square mostly. Just keep your eye out at all times. We stayed at the DoubleTree Hotel right in Times Square. So convenient to everything! And Yes, Phantom of the Opera was beyond description. I cried. Just loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful way to celebrate your vacation memories. So many great details.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is wonderful! I love NYC and you did a fantastic job of capturing the "flavor" of this amazing city. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a fabulous job on your NYC config box! I'm sure you had a great time making this box and reliving your trip. It's a great keepsake for your whole family to enjoy and remember the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is absolutely fabulous! All your elements are perfect and what a great way to remember your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this. I also love NYC! What a great way to savor all your memoires.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have inspired me. I have had a Config box for over 12 months just waiting to start.I have most of the pieces I need but have never gotten around to start it, Now is the time.
    Thanks your box is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! You capture your trip to NYC perfectly. You have certainly inspired me to collect from my next trip. I wonder what I'll find in a town of 1000 people in northern MN?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is fabulous, Annette. Like several others have said, this has inspired me to get working on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is one of the best Configurations boxes I've seen! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this NYC theme...I did it too...lol! Great loot and lOve all the photos! Just beautiful Annette!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this!!! A great idea to commemorate a trip! Love all your details and "do dads"!

    Wishes
    Debbie
    ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  23. You did a fabulous job with this project. And as a native New Yorker, let me tell you that it does not matter that you did not actually go to the Statue of Liberty. I think I was in my forties before I set foot there! It's a NY thing, LOL. So I hereby declare you an honorary NYer.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love all of the details, feels like I'm right in the middle of times square!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com