Pop-up Slider Card with "Footloose"

I been getting requests lately to show how to make a pop-up card. Off to YouTube I went because although I'd have no trouble designing it, I really had no idea how to construct it. Voila! I found this video from Mary Anne Walters. She also has a printable PDF on her blog: ScrappyStickyInkyMess.wordpress.com. Down in the right-hand column, you'll see a bunch of great how-to's in PDF. For this project, her directions are perfect if you want to know how to make a pop-up slider for any size card. She also has taken the time to show photos for each step. So make sure you take a peek at her directions for some visual help.

Follow along here and I'll share my measures and directions for the card I'm showing you today.






MY DIMENSIONS & BASIC STEPS

1.  Cut a card base at 5 x 10 (Lagoon)

2.  Score & crease at the middle (5 inches)

3. Score again 1/4 inch from that middle score then crease.

4. Trim off 1/4 inch from other end of card (all this does is allow a 1/4 "spine" to your card for the bulk that goes inside) Your card base should look like a thin book when closed.

5. Cut a coordinating piece of card stock (Creme Brûlée) for the inside of the card at 4 3/4 x 4 1/2. Then cut a piece of B&T paper from Footloose at 4 1/2 x 4 1/4 and adhere it to the Creme Brûlée. But don't stick this unit to the card base yet! You'll be working on this piece for a while. Let's call it the inner base unit.

6. Create a tag  2 1/4 x 4 1/4 inches snipping off two corners. 

7. To make the tag more decorative, cut a piece of B&T paper 2 x 4 and adhere it to the tag. (snip corners first)

8. (this is where you may need to look at Mary Anne's photos in her Step 3) Center your tag at the front edge of the inner base unit and lightly trace the left and right edge of your tag onto it, extending the pencil line to 1/4 inch from the back edge of the inner base unit.

9. Mark a pencil line 1 1/4 inch from the front edge of your inner base unit (you're now working between the two pencil lines that you made earlier. This will allow for the circle punch/thumb pull area and eventually the space for the tag to slide in and out.)

10. From the pencil line you made in Step 9, measure and make another pencil line 1 1/2 inches. This should be the halfway mark between your first pencil line and that line at the back on the inner base unit. If it isn't, measure again. (all of this will make sense in the end)

11. Score on those pencil lines from Step 9 and 10.

12. With a craft blade and mat underneath, using a ruler to keep things nice and straight, cut the sides and back along the pencil lines you've made. Crease your two scored lines, the center is a mountain fold and the leading edge is a valley fold.

13. Cut a piece of plain white printer paper (or something thin, not card stock) at 3 x 2 1/4 inches, score and crease it at 1 1/2 inches, basically folding it in half.


(Now I'll share my photos of how the rest of this came together.) 


14. Attach the printer paper piece to the tag base on the scored fold. 



15. Attach the other half of the printer paper inside your slider mountain. Right now you're looking at the tag as it's upside down. The white you see is the half of the printer paper stuck to the back of my tag. (It's going to make sense, I promise.)



This is how it would look if you flipped it over right now.



And this is how it looks when you tuck the tag into the cut space. See the tag poking out very slightly on the left? 


15. Now you need to punch a half circle for the thumb gripping area. (I don't have close up photo for this, but you can see it in the third photo at the top of my post.) First you need to make sure the tag is out of the way so you don't accidentally punch through it. Take a circle punch (I used 1 1/2 inch) and make a half circle cut (centered on your inner base unit). I added a Smoothie button on my tag for something to grab & pull easily.



16. Flip the whole thing over and put some sticky tape on the back as shown. Peel and stick this unit to your original card base.



17. Create a base for your pop-up embellishments. I cut a piece of clear plastic packaging material at 
1 1/4 x 4 inches and rounded the corners then built things onto it. Here you see it all from the back side. Small pieces of wire were glued to some of the fish. 


This whole unit gets attached to the front of your mountain fold.


Now decorate the rest of the card as you like and add your embellishments.



Here's another look at the whole thing popped up...



Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you give this a try!






Comments

  1. Annette, totally awesome and cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing and thanks for sharing how you created this...I must try it out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. great card. Love the directions. I have been meaning to try something like this....You have inspired me.
    thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you liked my card - I LOVE yours! So bright and colourful and I those little red fishies are adorable. BTW - did you do the painting in the header? Lovely.

    Cheers

    Mary Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annette, you never cease to amaze me! I so love coming to visit you, and today was no exception. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This totally blows me out of the water! Stunning color and design! Thanks for sharing--glad to be a follower now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have admired your work for several years, and always look forward to seeing your fabulous creations. Thank you for sharing directions for this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great card! I'm off to try it! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com