More Teacher Cards & Custom Envelopes

My daughter will be finishing up middle school next week and soon moving on to high school. (Wow, is all I can say.) She's had some great teachers this year so I wanted to be sure to help her thank them with some handmade cards. When I offered her some older cards in my stash that were very simple (and already completed) she kindly said, "Mom, these really aren't up to your caliber. I want to show off how talented you are." That made me happy.

Fortunately I recently reorganized my paper stash into a hanging folder system in one of those scrapbooker's cubes from the craft store. It barely held my non-Close To My Heart papers. I didn't realize just how much I had and WHAT I had until I reorganized. And I'm so happy I did! I found these beautiful Basic Grey papers from their Origins line, which is now a few years old. Gorgeous nonetheless. So I whipped up a handful of cards. Then I remembered that SplitcoastStampers just posted a tutorial on making your own custom envelopes. Check it out here. I'm also including my own quickie formula for making envelopes at the bottom of this post.

I think I've found a new addition! I loved using up my older papers to make coordinating envelopes. I may never buy envelopes again. I have had templates of standard envelope sizes before, but sometimes they just didn't work out with my card size, or I just didn't feel like tracing them and cutting them out. The tutorial from Splitcoast shows you how to make an envelope for any sized card and it's SUPER easy.

Here are my cards and coordinating envelopes...

These are for the female teachers. Two of the cards measure 4 1/2 x 6 1/4 inches (sort of an odd size) and the other two are 5 1/4 x 5 1/4 inches (another odd size). Perfect for making my own envelopes.



Here are each of the female cards with their coordinating envelopes so you can see how well they work together.






These cards & envelopes came together in a matter of a few hours this morning. I used things I had on hand, which always makes me happy. I need to save my money for the Scrapbook Expo tomorrow!


Here are two quick guy cards I made also, and will make envelopes for them this afternoon.

These were made with Victory papers, cork shapes, studs and twine, all from Close To My Heart. One is for the bus driver and one for Jamie's only male teacher. 


Okay, here's my quickie formula for making your own custom envelopes.

1. To figure out the length of paper needed, measure the short side of your card    
   and multiply it by 2 and add 2". 

2. Measure the long side of the card and add 2". 

3. Score at 7/8" on each side of the paper width. (paper is tall in trimmer)

4. To figure out where to score on the long side of the paper (place the paper wide in 
   trimmer) subtract the short side of your card from the paper length, divide by 2 and  
   subtract 1/8". 

5. Cut away the four outer sections, round the four corners of the envelope using a 
   corner rounder, and trim a slight angle off the inner flaps to reduce bulk. 


Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you have a fantastic weekend doing something crafty and fun. I'll be finishing up my Week in the Life album and have it ready to share with you on Monday.






Comments

  1. These are absolutely beautiful Annette. I think I will give these a try! Thanks for the tute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com