Mojo Monday Contest Challenge



I just had to jump into the Mojo Monday sketch challenge this week since it's the first Mojo challenge of the month, which means CONTEST. I always like to push myself to see if I can win. So far, no wins, but it's always fun trying.

Here's this week's sketch and my card...





If you would like to see what went into making a card like this, read on and I'll take you through it. The whole card from start to finish took me about 3 hours. Keep in mind that some of that time is spent testing colors, techniques, throwing things away, starting over, etc.

All products are Close To My Heart unless otherwise mentioned. I'll give you names of everything along the way.


First I started off with a black cardstock base for my card. The card is 5 x 7, so I cut a piece of Colonial White cardstock 4 3/4 x 6 3/4 for the card front. I inked it up using a foam tool and three inks working from bottom to top: Olive, Sweet Leaf and Honey.


I crumpled the paper up several times to make lots of wrinkles. You can wet the cardstock first, but I chose not to until later.


I smoothed it out a little, but not flat because I wanted to have some raised ridges to distress. I used Olive on a foam tool and just brushed it across the raised areas and the outside edge.


Now is when I like to spray a little water. This creates little water splotches in the ink to add to the distress, and also helps when ironing it flat. I dusted off my teeny Heidi Swapp craft iron for this. It's perfect!


When it was cool, I stamped this design with Desert Sand ink. The stamp set this image comes from is called Abundance Borders (a retired set). I stamped and repeated the border so it appeared to be a background image. Each time I repeated, I made sure to rotate the stamp 180 degrees so it looked more random.


I felt that it still needed something, so I distressed the edges by first using a sanding block, then the edge distresser. Then I went back and inked the edges a little more.


I stamped the side borders using another stamp from the same Abundance Borders set. This time I used Tim Holtz' Walnut Stain alcohol stamp pad because I didn't want the color to fade or meld into the other base colors. You might notice that I also inked all those ridges and outside edges a little darker for extra emphasis using the Walnut Stain.


For the two tags, I sanded all edges, then I used the Walnut Stain ink again for stamping, but in second generation. (Ink the stamp up, stamp off on scrap paper, then onto the cardstock.) This gives a little more distressed look than full strength. I finished them off by inking the edges.


This die cut shape called Styled Labels is from Tim Holtz' new Sizzix line called Alterations. I love them all! I cut Bamboo cardstock and then stamped the words using Desert Sand ink from the stamp set Noted Backgrounds (D1412). Inked edges, of course.


This ruler ribbon is from my local craft store and I wish I had bought a ton of it. It was on clearance, and I love it! I inked it with the foam tool using the Walnut Stain again, to age it a little.


I stamped the word FRIEND using the Tiny Typewriter alphabet stamp set (D1222). One of my favorites! I cut the oval a little bigger than the opening in the ornate plate (Tim Holtz' Idea-ology) so that it nested right inside, adhered with Liquid Glass.

For the finishing touch, I used Black Bitty Brads around the die cut label to add a little twist on the sketch.


Then I pulled it all together to assemble the card.


Thanks for reading all the way through. I'd love to know what you think of it! I have a cute little stamp set I'd love to give away. Just leave me a comment and I'll put your name into the drawing. Don't forget to check back tomorrow to see if you won.

Comments

  1. This is a gorgeous card! I cannot imagine the patience it took. So many steps, but what an awesome outcome. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, girlfriend!!!! I LOVE that TH Frame! Yum, yum, yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is gorgeous. Thanks for giving a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are submitting this one somewhere. ;-) Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is simply gorgeous. Love that distressed background. Thanks for playing Mojo Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow loved this! I usually take 2 hours for a card like this myself, then I want to keep them. The finished product looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com