Time Flies, Enjoy the Journey

As I keep saying, July is my "get 'er done" month and today's project is one that's been sitting around waiting for me to start. I wasn't even really sure what I was going to make with this piece of wood, but I picked it up at my local craft store and then put it in a corner of my studio to wait for me.



$3.99 from the craft store. Measures about 7 3/4 x 12 1/2 inches.



This is what I came up with. This is filled with all sorts of wonderful Tim Holtz goodies. I'll be teaching this class in August to my All Things Tim group.


Usually I get my ideas when I go on my early-morning runs, but I've been healing from a hip injury, so haven't been able to do much of any type of exercise for a while. What's so interesting is my mind found another time to get inspiration: in my dreams. Seriously. I don't know if this happens to other artists but it's never really happened to me that I can recall. I would wake up (that half awake, half asleep thing) during the middle of the night (for several nights) and an idea would come to me, I would make a mental note of it, and then fall back to a deep sleep. Weird. The first night it was the clock with wings and Time Flies theme, then the next night was the composition with the gears and the Alpha Cards. Again, really weird for me, but very cool.


Here are a few close-ups and details...


Letters are Grungeboard Alphabet Soup painted with Red Pepper paint dabber.



Tick Tock Alterations Die by Sizzix. Wings were colored using the Faux Patina technique in Tim's book A Compendium of Curiosities Vol. II


Gears, gears, gears. Grungeboard and metal ones. 




I've been waiting for an opportunity to use these new Alpha Cards




This Philosophy Tag is a reminder to me. Time Flies, just breathe and enjoy the journey.




This has got to be my favorite Alterations Texture Fade. It's the riveted metal from the Diamond Plate and Rivoted Metal set. I used alcohol inks to color Ranger's foil tape sheets. The effect is so cool.



So artists, I would love to know when your best ideas hit you. 

In your dreams?

While exercising?

In water? (my daughter and another friend of mine say this)



Please share, and let me know what you think of the project. Thanks for stopping by and have a fabulous day!  




Comments

  1. Hello Annette, funny you mention your dreams for ideas. Byes, it happens a lot to me. I keep a pad and pen near my bed because I get "brain fogged" a lot due to Lupus, Fibromyalgia and certain Meds. Mine also come from tv which I don't do often, but the commercials, logos, etc.
    Also , when I get stumped I call the husband. He is such an inspiration to me but he doesn't like being in my "woman cave". I need a recliner and tv in my studio to keep him a bit longer. ; )
    Thanks for sharing your work.
    Ivette
    Http://n1sunrider.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Annette, funny you mention your dreams for ideas. Byes, it happens a lot to me. I keep a pad and pen near my bed because I get "brain fogged" a lot due to Lupus, Fibromyalgia and certain Meds. Mine also come from tv which I don't do often, but the commercials, logos, etc.
    Also , when I get stumped I call the husband. He is such an inspiration to me but he doesn't like being in my "woman cave". I need a recliner and tv in my studio to keep him a bit longer. ; )
    Thanks for sharing your work.
    Ivette
    Http://n1sunrider.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fantastic piece, so much great detail, love it! Trace x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!!! Great job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is so awesome!
    You got me interested in that texture fade!
    I really like how the different elements blend together. In particular how you've added wings to the clock.
    I wish I knew when my best ideas hit me! They are so random and difficult to catch! However, I do see the creative side of myself when I organize my stuff - that gives me a different perspective of the craft supplies! :)
    - Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your project-- looks like a fun class to take! I cannot say I dream about projects, but quite often I wake up with ideas for art/crafty creations. My favorite days are when I wake up thinking about art and have time to work on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great project. I love all the elements and you have inspired me to the use the riveted metal teaxture fade. Think it need to go on a birthday card I have to make. I do sometimes dream ideas and I sometimes find myself thinking of ideas when I'm in yoga class and I'm supposed to be concentrating on my breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How totally fabulous! Love your colors and all the choices you've made on this beautiful wall art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Annette,
    I love this piece - I laughed at your intro - having it hanging around waiting for you to do something with it! But this is Fabulous and Awesome! Yes, time does fly! I am often inspired in my sleep - I awake with a pearl of an idea - usually just part of a design - and it flows from me like water from the tap once I get started. That doesn't happen often, but don't ya just LOVE that feeling?!?!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com