Halloween & Fall Box Cards Tutorial

It's been a wet and wild weekend here in central Florida. Hurricane Irma plowed right up through the state like no other hurricane before her, at least as far as I can remember. We experienced some pretty intense winds, rain and power outages, but in the end were quite lucky not to have major damage to our home. It was stressful, just the same. During the storm (when we still had power) it was helpful to work on something easy in order to keep my mind busy. That's when I turned to my Cricut Explore machine. I decided on a Halloween box card because I LOVE Halloween and adore making box cards. Today I thought I'd share a quick tutorial for the box cards I made. If you're not into Halloween, I also share how I made slight adjustments to create a Thanksgiving/Fall card. Keep scrolling for that as well as the supply list.

Box cards are so cute and look so difficult, but they are super easy! And the Cricut file includes an envelope sized perfectly to the folded down box card.


I start by importing a basic box card design from SVGCuts and cut the base pieces from black cardstock.


I cut the accent pieces from various designer papers. I've used papers from Authentique's new "Bountiful" collection.


I decide which papers will be on my exterior and adhere them to the base.


I flip the base over and adhere the pieces to the interior panels.


I adhered the box together then added the two support strips inside. Everything is scored on the Cricut, so it's super easy to fold and go!


Rather than fussy-cut the fall leaves from this sheet, I used a maple leaf punch similar in size. Even though it's not the exact size as the leaves, once I inked the edges they looked great.


On the Cricut, I cut out several bats of various sizes from black cardstock. I stamped a tag with October 31 and added a sparkly brad, then die-cut the pumpkins and their parts from Elizabeth Craft Designs "Pumpkins" set.


Now comes the fun of assembly. Just layer and arrange however you like. Sometimes I use layers of foam tape to pop elements up.


To the base I added the wrought iron gate pieces, which are gray cardstock punched with an older Martha Stewart Crafts die.


In Cricut Design Space I searched "zig zag" and found these great border strips. I stamped Happy Halloween and popped it up with foam tape. Done!


Not into Halloween? Change up the elements a little and make a Thanksgiving/Fall card...

Same paper collection, different stamps. I eliminated the faces from the pumpkins and used lots of the stickers from the 12 x 12 sticker sheet which comes with the paper collection.






Visit your local scrapbook store for these great products, or shop online at SimonSaysStamp.com:

Martha Stewart Crafts Iron Fence Punch
Close to My Heart stamp sets: Halloween Greetings, Steampunk Scoundrels, Happy Thanksgiving
EK Success Maple Leaf punch


Thanks for stopping in today. Have a fabulous week!


Comments

  1. I love your box cards! Thank you for the tutorial! I'm having trouble figuring out how to import the SVGCuts to my Cricut machine, so I haven't bought any yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found a way to deal with the stress of Irma. So happy that you are safe and not much damage to your home. Love the card and the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This design is spectacular! You most certainly know how to keep a reader entertained.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well,
    almost...HaHa!) Great job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com