Artsy Card with Dina Wakley Media

A dear friend of mine who has been in remission for many years recently learned she has cancer again. It hurts my heart so. As a friend, what can I do? I remember she told me once how she loved getting cards during the most difficult times so I created a special, artsy card this morning using only paints, inks, stamps and stencils. No flowers, no ribbon, just art. I hope it brightens her day just a little. Let me share how I made it. A complete product list is at the end of the post.


My finished card measures 4 3/4" x 6".


Begin by squeezing a few colors onto a Gelli Plate. I love Dina Wakley Media heavy-body acrylic paints.


Spread the colors with a brayer just enough to blend, not mix completely, then use a painter's comb like this, or any other texture tool to make a pattern in the paint.


Cut a 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" piece of Mixed Media Cardstock and press one into the Gelli Plate (left photo). If you're happy, stop. I wanted a lighter, more artsy look, so I spritzed the Gelli Plate with water and pressed a second piece of cardstock into it. (right photo) This is better!


Squeeze paint onto a non-stick craft sheet and use a blending foam tool to lightly pick up some color. Gently blend the color through a stencil along the right edge of the cardstock. I used Stampers Anonymous Flourish stencil.


Repeat with another color and stencil in the upper left corner. I used Dina Wakley's Four Women stencil.


Stamp an image and sentiment with Jet Black Archival ink. This fun stamp is from Dina's Fashion Forward set. I found this at my local Hobby Lobby!


If desired, paint in the girl. I painted only her skin because I liked the texture and color behind her clothes. I had some leftover paint on my craft sheet so I brushed some onto a stamp from Dina's Texture set and stamped it below the face.


On another piece of cardstock I brushed dry strokes of the paint colors left over on my craft sheet. This will be for the inside of my card.


Stencil some hearts with a bold color. I did this on the inside as well. Also, I cut a wavy piece from my original Gelli print for the sentiment inside. Nothing goes to waste!


Stamp images in the lower left corner, if desired, and inside your card. I used Watering Can Archival ink for my flowers. These are from Stampers Anonymous new Flower Jar set. I also layered some pale pink stamping from the Textures stamp set in various areas.


The middle of my card seemed a little empty so I punched some flowers out of the original Gelli print and adhered them flat. I also went over the stamped lady with my Fude Ball pen where I had painted over those lines earlier.


I mounted both the front and the inside pieces to a compatible pink cardstock (Smoothie, from Close To My Heart) then adhered that unit to a black card.


Here's the finished card once again. Now I'm off to make an envelope and pop this in the mail.

Thanks for stopping in today. I hope you have a fabulous day!
                                       
                                       

Comments

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your friend. The card you made is so beautiful, you have created such wonderful depth with the gelli plate, stencilling and stamping and the colour tones are gorgeous. I think your friend will be very touched by your thoughtfulness and your choice of sentiments too. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Anne. It means a lot to me that you took the time to leave such a sweet comment.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your friend. I enjoyed seeing how you made these lovely cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this cancer in 2010 and I am cancer free still, touch wood. I am sorry that she has it again, but stay strong for her as some people fight the fight a few times and win! I would have been thrilled to get this lovely card in the mail. I do love Dina. This card is lovely and bright and cheery and perfect sentiment Annette, perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com