This month, our hostess Candy Colwell has selected the theme of "Witchy Woman." The theme is totally up to your own interpretation. It can literally be a witch in your creation, or perhaps a devilish diva, or whatever you choose.
I love Halloween, so I went with the witch idea to create a spooky altered picture frame. Rather than the typical witch, I transformed a skull with top hat. Let's take a look...
I stamped the large Undertaker with Black Archival Ink onto Mixed Media Cardstock, then trimmed the top hat into a witch's hat.
With Distress Markers, I shaded the skull, highlighted the hat, and added a bit of "lipstick" just for some humor.
From Regions Beyond paper, I die-cut the new Twisted die a few times, trimming off bits here and there for the witch's hair.
I adhered layers and layers of "curls" to the skull. She's got somewhat of a Medusa look going on.
Most of the pieces were adhered to the back of the skull like this, with just a few coming around to the front.
I cut two pieces for the frame's backing. One from Black Shattered Kraft Core, the other from Regions Beyond, which I then die-cut using the spider web in the Mixed Media Halloween die set.
Next I stamped Happy Halloween (from Apothecary CMS138) onto a piece of linen in the Idea-ology Textile Surfaces using Black Archival Ink. After shredding the outer edges I distressed with Vintage Photo and Black Soot Distress inks. Textile Surfaces are adhesive-backed which makes them easy to adhere in place.
I applied Ranger's Grit Paste with my finger onto an Idea-ology Picture Frame.
I absolutely love Grit Paste. It spreads easily, dries fast, and creates an amazing textured surface.
Once the Grit Paste was dry, I painted the frame with semi-gloss black acrylic paint. Once the black was dry, I scribbled Rusty Hinge Distress Crayon in random places and rubbed it in with my finger. This gave a rusty effect. I sealed this with a coat of Collage Medium, Vintage.
I adhered the paper and cardstock to the base then glued the frame on top.
After peeling and sticking the stamped Textile Surface into place at the bottom, I adhered two papers together and popped them up with black foam tape for dimension.
Onto a Halloween Word Key, I scribbled Picket Fence Distress Crayon into the recessed areas and rubbed with my finger, then added Black Soot crayon to dirty it up. Trimmings and twine finish it off.
My Witchy Woman is adhered with foam tape to the center of the frame. I added small bats in her hair and a larger bat below her. The Wicked key is hot-glued into place as are the four Boneyard bones flanking the Happy Halloween banner.
Using a craft knife, I sliced an Idea-ology Pumpkin in half, then grunged it up with Mushroom Alcohol Ink. Onto Mini Numerals, I painted black paint, let it dry, then Collage Medium, Crazing. To create cracks and bubbles, I heated the numerals with the heat tool until I got the desired effect.
After adhering the last few embellishments, my frame was complete.
My Witchy Woman frame now sits on my foyer table to welcome spirits into my home.
Okay, now it's YOUR turn to create something fun with the Witchy Woman theme. Just go to the October challenge page at Creative Carte Blanche and upload your art. We'd LOVE to see what you come up with.
Almost all the products I've used today can be found in your local craft store, or favorite online store like The Funkie Junkie Boutique, my personal favorite. Thanks for stopping in today!