At first, I was clueless as to what I would create. Sometimes things instantly come to mind, but this time it just wasn't happening. (I'm sure many of you can relate.) So rather than panic, I simply started to organize and tidy up my craft space, which was much-needed anyway. In doing so, I came across a 12" x 12" tin ceiling panel I had tucked away and that's when it hit me. This would be the perfect base for this challenge so I decided upon a fun, whimsical wall hanging for my craft room.
One of the things I especially enjoyed while making this is that I used dies and flowers and papers that I already had in my stash. No additional trips to the craft store, and I got reacquainted with some old favorites. I love that, and I certainly need to do more of it.
Let me share how it all came together...
From a box in my garage, I cut off one of the flaps, neatly trimmed it to 4 1/2" x 9" with a craft knife, then peeled away the paper layer from one side to reveal the corrugated. I intentionally wasn't super neat about this step so as to give it more of an organic feel.
My vision was an earthy, warm background so I painted several warm colors onto the corrugated using Distress Paints like Ripe Persimmon, Fossilized Amber, Ground Espresso, and Fired Brick. While it was still wet I sprayed a few mists of Perfect Pearls Copper.
This 12" x 12" tin ceiling tile is from the Salvaged line from BCI Crafts. It had a bit too much gold in it for my plan, so I toned it down with more Distress Paint and Copper mist. (Left photo shows the difference as I began to test the paint in the upper left corner, and right photo shows the end result.)
Once the tile was completely dry, I began to layer elements onto it, introducing Wallflower paper and lace trims. Originally my lace pieces were all bright white, so I toned some down with Antique Linen Distress Ink on a blending tool and others with Distress Stain for a deeper color. I also used the Distress Stain to age the paper slightly to match the tone and feel of the other elements.
Next I fussy cut flowers and leaves from the Wallflower paper stash and gave the edges a bit of inking with Ground Espresso Distress Ink.
I cut a large manila tag down to 6", then stamped the honeycomb, bee and sentiment. These are each from different stamp sets from Stampers Anonymous. The outer edges are inked first with Vintage Photo then the outer edges only with Ground Espresso.
After tying some lace through the large tag, I began to assemble a few of the elements; some with foam tape for dimension, others directly onto the background.
To fill things out a little more, I die-cut some Garden Greens leaves and mixed them in. On my large tag I added Elementary Flashcards "Make" and "Time" plus the word "to" using the Wordplay die.
I have sorely neglected these dies, only having used them once or twice since I purchased them, so I was happy to get them out again! I cut several out of manila cardstock and stamped them with different colors of archival inks.
I embossed the ones who had a matching embossing folder (all but the smallest butterflies) then sprayed each with a Distress Stain and heat set them until dry. Then I used my new Distress Crayons to scribble various colors over the raised areas then spritzed them with water to watch them meld into one another. Sometimes I used my finger to push the colors around, other times I just let them do their thing. I'm telling you, I LOVE these crayons!
The colors, while very bright and cheery, seemed a bit too bright for the feel of my piece so I eventually toned them down with a blend of Vintage Photo Distress Ink.
After bending and shaping wings, I adhered the pieces down. (As you can see, the largest butterfly didn't make the cut.) Then I mixed in some Petaloo flowers here and there to fill in spaces.
Here's another look at the finished piece. I hope you'll join in with us with your own creation over at Creative Carte Blanche. It's been great fun seeing what inspires you and what you've created thus far. Give this one a try and see where it takes you!