I'm taking a few days off from my London recap so I can enjoy making a homemade blueberry pie, getting together with friends for the 4th of July, posting my Altered Burlap Panel project for the Compendium of Curiosities Vol. III Challenge, and making cards with friends this weekend. You can find all the details about this fun Compendium challenge at the end of my post.
Here's my 6 x 8 inch burlap panel covered with all sorts of wonderful Graphic 45 French Country paper and chipboard, Tim Holtz Idea-ology and Expedition Ephemera.
While I can't describe the technique Tim uses in the book here, I can show you that I did, in fact, follow his steps. You see, I eventually added so much embellishment you can hardly see the base of my canvas. So this photo proves it's under there.
After cutting six rectangles from various French Country papers as a design element for my background, I cut an ornate frame from grungeboard and paper. I took the time to ink all the edges with Black Soot.
Here's a tip: When inking inside small spaces like this, I use an eye make-up applicator dipped in the ink pad just like the regular blending tool only I ink both sides. I buy a bunch of these at WalMart and reuse them until they get worn out.
I cut a big flower from the Jumbo Tattered Floral die from golden yellow Kraft Core card stock. To make it look more like a sunflower, I used my tools from Susan's Garden Tool Kit to create striations in the petals.
This was the exact effect I was going for.
To add dimension I inked Fired Brick Distress Ink around the center of the flower about halfway onto the petals.
Then I used the big ball stylus from the tool kit and gave the petals a bit of a curl to soften them up for the next step.
Using the tweezers in the kit, I clamped onto the end of the petals and then pinched with my fingers.
It's starting to look more like a sunflower now, right? Almost.
I decided to add a pop of yellow to the outer petal tips, so I daubed Wild Honey Distress Paint on each one.
I repeated this process on another flower and layered the two, offsetting the petals to make it look full.
I created the beginning of my sunflower's center by punching a scrap piece of brown card stock with a 1 1/4" circle punch and then inserting antique copper brads tightly until I filled most of the circle. Then I trimmed around the outer brads to get this irregular shape. To add a bit more realism, I outlined each brad with a dark brown alcohol marker.
As I looked at it, it seemed to need more petals, so I cut another flower from the same card stock, only using the regular Tattered Florals die this time to get a slightly smaller flower. I repeated the steps from above, then snipped off all the petals, discarding the center.
Then glued each petal under the brad center to fill in.
Finally to finish my center I added this fuzzy beaded trim around the brads.
I adhered black twill ribbon around the outer border of the panel for a finished look.
Here' are some close-ups of the details below. The key here is to know when to stop. It's so much fun adding layered embellishments!
And here's another look at the finished piece...
* * * * *
You can find all the CC3 Challenge details and FAQs here. The lovely Linda Ledbetter is our hostess of this fun series of challenges, and all you have to do to participate is create your project, and upload to her site. Be sure, though, to read through all the FAQs so you're eligible to win...
We're working our way through this fantastic book of techniques and tips, and challenging you to join in the fun. This round's challenge is sponsored by the great folks at the Funky Junkie Boutique who have a fabulous gift voucher to give away to one lucky random winner. Also, the Curiosity Crew's Choice scores a giant prize pack of goodies straight from Tim and Mario!
Now get your burlap panel, grab your Compendium book and get painty!