A Father's Day Card Tutorial with Graphic 45's Typography

It's just a few days before Father's Day, so I thought I'd share a quick card tutorial for those of you who are in desperate need of inspiration at the last minute.


I love making 5" x 7" cards. They seem just the right size to get lots of goodies on. 



I started with a 5" x 7" folded black cardstock base then cut a 5" x 7" piece of kraft card stock and punched this border to get a postage stamp effect.



I used the 8" x 8" pack of Typography and inked all my edges with brown ink. Usually, I like Vintage Photo, but when I need a darker brown I prefer Gathered Twigs which is what I used here.



I grabbed some white chipboard letters in my stash and colored them with Distress Inks. I let these sit to absorb the ink and dry completely before moving on to the next step.



Using the alphabet image from the Typography Cling Stamp #3 from Hampton Art, I stamped onto the chipboard with gray Archival Ink.



Then inked the edges with Gathered Twigs. I like to use eye make-up sponges for the smaller hard-to-reach spaces.



The typewriter image is stamped onto the newsprint paper and cut out closely, then inked. I also cut apart some images and strips for my card front. 



Next I begin layering my elements. Sometimes I take a photo at this stage and examine it before adhering anything down. I try moving things around different ways, taking photos as I do so. Then I flip through the photo images on my camera to compare which I like best.



I painted two metal photo corners from the craft store with acrylic paint. Here's a before and after. I use my finger to rub the paint into the design on the metal piece. First a layer of red, then some gold, then a finishing smear of black. I let each color dry well before adding another color.



 
A big vintage button with some satin ribbon and a metal pen nib add the finishing touches.



Here's another look at the finished card.


Let's not forget the inside. Just bits and pieces cut from the paper collection. And for my stamped sentiment, I rubbed some cream-colored acrylic paint onto the page with my finger, let it dry completely...



...then stamped my sentiment. This helps it stand out much better.



And if you have any 12" x 12" Typography paper lying around, you can whip up a quick envelope for your card. I love the We R Memories Keepers Envelope Punch Board and use it ALL the time.


I love Graphic 45's Typography paper for its endless possibilities in card making and crafting. The collection is so versatile for very feminine themes and yet very masculine too. (Check out this quick YouTube video where I share two examples of this). And if you need even more inspiration with Typography, there's a complete Pinterest board here.


Thanks for stopping in today. Have a wonderful weekend!


Comments

  1. Fantastic fathers Day card Annette. These are my favourite papers, and I love the envelope too. Thanks so much for my parcel...love it! Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great card Annette! Hope you are having a wondrous time! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card! Love seeing all of your travel updates! Hopefully I can do the same when we go to Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those papers - what a terrific card, Annette.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com