Thank You Card Made from an Upcycled Shopping Bag

Crafty people will get this. You shop at a store and they place your purchased goodies into a pretty shopping bag and you immediately think, "Oh, I can make something with this!"

That's exactly what happened to me after shopping at She Scrapbooks a few weekends ago up in The Villages.

But a little back story first. I've got this group of lady friends who I meet up with monthly on a Friday to create a project I've designed. We call our get-togethers The Friday Follies. (and for good reason) I may have mentioned them before. Let's just say it can get pretty crazy. Everyone is laughing (when someone is hitting someone else's car in my driveway), everyone's talking at the same time (much like Kindergardeners, LOL) and some get confused, others are cracking dirty jokes,... you get the picture. It's a miracle we ever get a project completed. But I love these gals and I'm so happy we can all share our love of creating and crafting.


(This is just some of the group. Quick! Group selfie at the rest stop!)


So this group likes to make an annual road trip somewhere together. Last year it was a scrapbook shop hop across the state of Florida. This year, we decided on one stop: She Scrapbooks. Two reasons for this choice: One, we've all heard great things about it. (Heck, Tim Holtz and many other big namers have taught there!) And Two, I wanted to meet the shop's owner Yvonne Blair. She and I have another connection via The Compendium of Curiosities Crew and former Ranger University grads (from different years).



So, we rented a Tahoe and off we went. It was about a two-hour drive and with all the laughing and chatter, we got there before we knew it. The shop was AMAZING, of course, and Yvonne was super sweet. And we had a great time shopping! Yvonne and her friendly staff handed out discount coupons to all of us at check-out so we were thrilled.


Now back to the shopping bags...

Wouldn't you save this bag to make something fun too?



I decided to send Yvonne a thank-you card made from her shopping bag. So I started cutting apart these great vintage newspaper ad images.



I grabbed some vintage-style pink card stock and distressed it by sanding and inking, added some black card stock as well, then just started layering and piecing things together on this 6" x 6" easel card.







I used My Minds Eye Lost and Found alphabet stickers I purchased in the store plus a Stampers Anonymous stamp I had ("Getting There"). 



Vintage style buttons and some seam binding I colored with Distress Stains.



I got the #Hashtags stamp set at the shop too. I've been wanting it for a while now.



Just for fun, I added some of the tags and pieces from the packaging of items I'd purchased in her store on the inside of my card.



The easel card folds down nice and flat for mailing. I created a 6 x 6 envelope to coordinate with my card using my Envelope Punch Board by We R Memory Keepers. If you don't have one of these yet, you really need to see a doctor 'cause something might be wrong with you. Seriously one of the best purchases I've EVER made. You can Google it and watch YouTube videos to check it out, but I think I'd make my own video soon. So stay tuned. If you don't want to miss it, simply go to my YouTube channel and subscribe to me. That way, you'll get an e-mail notice as soon as I've uploaded something new.


Thanks, that's all for today. Let me know if you have ever created anything with a shopping bag before. I'd love to hear!


And if you're ever in the Central Florida area, you need to stop at She Scrapbooks. She carries everything I used to make my card. If you can't make it there, then you can find these great items online at stores like Scrapbook.com.


Comments

  1. How fun! I love the card you made! That is such a great bag! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Crafting buddy Donna and I are planning a trip to She. With the craziness that my life has been these last few months, every time we'd schedule a trip, I would have to cancel. But it is HIGH on our list of must-do's!

    I have used the shopping bags from the Doodle on many of my projects. LOVE those 70's era circles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say that I love your new hair. :) After 3 decades of the same long hair, I finally cut my hair to just past my shoulders. I'm still getting used to it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, we crafters get it. What great bags. Love the card. Your group sounds like great fun! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahah...That is so great! It must be wonderful to share creative energy with the friends/ladies of yours! I don't know any creative person here in Tampa.. :( Love the Thank you card you made from the bag! How inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annette your card is amazing. Wish I could get a bag like that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com