12 Tags of 2013 - November Journal Page

What fun this month's technique was for Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2013. An easy faux-chalkboard treatment using embossing powder and chalk. Be sure to check out Tim's tag here as he shows you his steps to create it.

Meanwhile I'm working on 6 x 8 inch journal pages inspired by Tim's tags and I'm so excited that the year is almost over so I can bind all my pages into a creative journal. While I didn't have some of the supplies Tim used, I managed to create a similar look with what I had on hand.


My pages are all Bristol vellum surface, 100 lb. by Strathmore and measure 6 x 8 inches as mentioned above.


Let me take you through the steps I took to create this page…


Scattered Straw Distress Ink first. Then an outer blending of Wild Honey.



Then some Vintage Photo.


Stamp background image with Potting Soil archival ink.



Black card stock piece is cut 3 1/2 x 6 1/4 then stamped with Versamark and sprinkled with detail white embossing powder. (I didn't have the frosted stuff Tim used, but the technique worked well.)



After the embossing powder is heated and cool to the touch, then I scrubbed a piece of white chalk over everything and smeared it in with my finger.



I cut four pieces of medium brown card stock. Two pieces are 1/2 x 4 inches and the other two are 1/2 x 7 inches. These will serve as my chalkboard faux wood frame.



Dip a dry stipple brush into Walnut Stain re-inker and brush most of it off onto a scrap of paper or a paper towel. You want the brush to be lightly coated, not saturated for the next step.



Lightly sweep the stipple brush over each card stock strip to give the illusion of woodgrain.



Miter the corners and ink the edges with Black Soot Distress Ink.



Assemble the frame with tape on the backside to hold it together.



Then adhere the frame over the chalkboard piece and adhere this unit to the page.



Stamp images onto cream card stock with Black archival ink and let dry. Then sweep a stroke of Distress Stain in fall colors as desired. Don't over-saturate the image. Just a sweep will do.



Once the images are dry, cut them out, ink the edges with Walnut Stain and adhere to journal page or tag. I used foam tape to pop up the acorn...



…and this leaf.



So what do you think? It was so quick and easy, yet looks complicated. Are you making the 12 Tags this year? I'd love to hear if you're doing anything unique to yours.


Thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderful weekend!


Comments

  1. Another great page for your journal, Annette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey nice post mehn. I love your style of blogging here. The way you writes reminds me of an equally interesting post that I read some time ago on Daniel Uyi's blog: An Inspiration For When No One Cares About Your Dreams .
    keep up the good work.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your take on Tim's November tag. That ruler background looks like patterned paper. And the wood grain frame - easy peasy, I've got to try that. Wonderful page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another awesome page Annette!! I can't believe there is only one tag left! (put shocked emoticon here)
    Enjoy binding your journal together! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful interpretation of the tag....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com