For me, I'm working on journal pages inspired by Tim's tags. My pages are 6 x 8 inches on Bristol, vellum surface, 100 lb. by Strathmore. At the end of the year, I will have created a beautiful journal which I will bind with book rings. It's looking good so far.
Here's my take on the September tag techniques...
Ever since I won this Sewing Blueprint stamp set from Tim and Mario back in July, I knew I had to incorporate it into one of my pages. (Thank you guys!)
Here's how my page came together and what I learned through the process...
First, I wanted to see what the difference would be if I used Wendy Vecchi's new Translucent Embossing Paste, as opposed to the white that Tim used. In the end it made no difference because the idea behind the translucent paste is to reveal what's underneath. On my page, nothing is underneath but the white page. Same as using white paste. Get it?
Since my page has a sewing theme, I decided on the Burlap stencil to create texture. Here I've used Antique Linen, Wild Honey and Rusty Hinge Distress Stains with water to flow the colors. (Note: I had followed Tim's steps to stenciling letters on my page with Picket Fence Distress Paint before the stains went on, but I guess I wasn't heavy-handed enough, because it really didn't show up very well. So don't be shy with that white paint.)
I had forgotten to add some metallic to my mix above, so I tried adding Antiqued Bronze after the color layer was dry. Not advised. Not ideal, but not a deal breaker either so onward I forged.
This part gets fun. I didn't have a lot of the new stencils, so I pulled from what I had in my stash. The doily in the upper left is from Christy Tomlinson (I used Vintage Photo for that) and the leaves are Stamper's Anonymous/Wendy Vecchi's. (I used Festive Berries for those)
Then Polka Dotty with Walnut Stain. (Also by Stamper's Anonymous/Wendy Vecchi)
Here's where I thought it might end up in the trash. I stamped some sewing images and they simply got lost in all the busy background. (Tip: a more solid design in your stamp images would be better.) I gave something a try that I learned at Ranger U from our friend Dyan Reaveley...
With a paintbrush I brushed a generous amount of water over the inside of the stamped image and let it sit for just a few seconds to react with the water-based inks beneath. Because I stamped with archival black, the stamped image was not affected. Then I took a balled-up paper towel and sopped up the water I had brushed on and it lifted away some but not all of the color, giving it a ghosted effect. This really helped the stamped image to stand out better.
Same with the dress form image.
Better, but it still needs something...
I decided to add some dimension by adding another spool using the mini dress form and spool. Here I'm cut the spool from grungeboard, inked it with Vintage Photo and the outer edges with Walnut Stain, then wrapped some string around it and popped it onto the page with foam tape overlapping the stamped spool.
Same deal with the dress form. I stamped it with the ruler from the Seamless Experience stamp set.
I added a few cut-outs from the Crowded Attic paper stash after inking the edges, then popped up two of the buttons with foam tape.
Chit Chat Verbiage stickers inked with Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain. I added a bit of glue to ensure they were securely adhered to my textured surface.
In the end, I was pleased with my page. Just goes to show that you don't have to give up right away. Sometimes you can get things to work out.
Thanks for stopping by today. I hope I've inspired you to give Tim's technique's a try. Have a great day!