EP Get Altered Challenge - Glass Jar

I'm trying out some of the techniques I learned from Ranger University today on eclectic Paperie's Get Altered Challenge. This month's Get Altered Challenge is to use a glass jar or bottle. Hop over to this link to check out Donna-Marie's stunning jar, then create something of your own and enter the challenge yourself. You have until Thursday, May 16th to submit your project, and you could win some spending money in the eP store! Details at the end of this post.

I grabbed my technique tags from Ranger U and started to review what might work on glass.

One of the techniques we learned was Distress Crackle Paint Shattered Stains. So I'll lead you through my version of it. First, here is my finished jar. After looking at the colors from afar, I think this would be a great gift for a Red Hat Society member. LOL! I got started with purple and didn't know where I was going with it until the end.



It started with this 6-inch tall jar from my local Hobby Lobby. (Glassware is on sale 50% this week.) 


I tore a large long piece of Melange Tissue Wrap by Tim Holtz and used Studio Multi-Medium to adhere it to the jar. When that was dry, I globbed on a fairly thick layer of Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint and let it dry overnight.



By morning it had cracked nicely all over. I wasn't sure if Distress Stains would hold up well to the heat from a lighted candle inside the jar, so instead I used alcohol inks. Tim taught us with Stains. You simply squeeze out colors into felt applicator tool and start pumping color all over the cracks. If I had used Stains, I would have just used the dabber on the end of the bottles.

What I learned today: Stains would have been preferred because the color isn't so intense, but I had already started and had to commit. (It was at this stage in the process that my husband walked in and said something about how icky it looked. Thanks, hon.) Next time, I will stick with the Stains.



Forging ahead, I cut some pieces of grungepaper and colored them with Distress Paints. I used grungepaper because of it's ability to accept color and for its flexibility to wrap around the jar.



 When dry I gave them a spritz of Dylusions White Linen spray. Not sure if you noticed that detail in the photo above.



I have tons of these tan flowers, which are easy to color with Dylusions sprays. I used Cherry Pie on a bunch of them and then hot-glued them to the jar.



Another technique we learned at Ranger U was how to work with Vintaj jewelry pieces and patina glazes. For the leaf charms we used a combination of Lapis, Jade and Marine patinas on our non-stick craft sheet and picked up colors with a paint brush and layered them onto the leaves one by one. After heat-setting slightly, we used a reliefing block to buff the raised surfaces to highlight them. Even though these were intended to adorn a pair of earrings we made, I opted to use them as embellishment on my jar instead.


I popped a small white candle down in the jar and voila! All ready for the Red Hat Society.
(Hey, if we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at, right? Although MY answer to that question would be "that girl over there.")


Now it's your turn. The Get Altered Challenge is about exploring your creative journey, about stepping outside of your comfort zone, experimenting with new products, and creating altered and mixed media art.  We want to see your work and hear about your inspiration. All of those who play along with our challenge will be entered into a prize drawing for a $15.00 gift certificate to the eclectic Paperie store. So grab your supplies and play along!  

Here are a few things to keep in mind for this challenge…

- You do not have to use products sold in the eP store…but we do love it when you do!
- Share a direct link to your creation, not just your blog, using the Linky Tools feature at the end of eP's Get Altered Challenge post.  If, for any reason, the Linky Tools doesn’t cooperate, please add a link in the Comments section of their blog.
- When uploading to any online galleries, please use any of the following keywords; eP, eclectic Paperie or Get Altered Challenge.  Link your creations to the eP blog.
- If you’d like to be considered as one of our featured projects and be entered into our prize drawing, please be sure to add your link no later than 6:00 pm EST on Thursday, May 16th.  They’ll announce the winner/featured project right before the eTeam Picks Challenge.



Comments

  1. Fabulous makeover - the shattered stains is something I've seen but never tried, so this is great inspiration, thank you!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so pretty, I love tea light holders and this would look very nice on my mantelpiece ! Thankyou for sharing the new techniques you learnt we are so privileged to have both you and Marjie to share some things you have learned x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the colors!!
    Using the crackle over the ink and paper gave it a real unique beautiful look. TFS all the tips! I bet the flickering light shinning though all those layers looks amazing :-_

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is beautiful, and I don't even belong to the Red Hat Society! And, your husband needs to get checked for color blindness....ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, so very pretty - love the crackle and color over the tissue - amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sitting here going oooh ahhh ohhh Annette,lol.
    How beautiful it looks with the crackle paint ...loooove it!!
    Thank you so much for sharing techniques woohoo.
    Big hugs
    Tracy
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful makeover! Love the way the light shines through the tissue wrap.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com