Be sure to visit Tim's blog to see his February Tag and all the steps he took to create it. I took a few different twists and turns on mine, as you'll see.
Right off the top you probably noticed that I didn't stamp the Queen of Hearts, but rather used a Texture Trade since I don't have the stamp Tim used. I wasn't sure how this would go, but forged ahead anyway. You'll see how I did this in my steps below. But first, the base page...
My page is Bristol, vellum surface, 100 lb. by Strathmore. Rather than Distress Stain, I thought I'd give my new Distress Paints a try. I started with Fired Brick and scribbled it on about 2/3 of the way down the page. I like how the Distress Paint is more fluid and slightly transparent than regular acrylic paint.
Then some Victorian Velvet Distress Paint almost touching. Both colors are pretty wet still.
I grabbed a water bottle and misted the page generously, lifting it so the colors ran together. I tapped the page into the run-off paint on my non-stick craft sheet to fill in and add more variation of color.
Under better lighting you can see how the page dried and the colors came out. I inked the outer edges with Black Soot Distress Ink.
Although Tim didn't stamp the background like this, I felt it was necessary since my page is so much larger than a tag. So I grabbed Picket Fence Distress Paint and dabbed it on the stamp and stamped away.
With Archival Black ink, I stamped a few random images.
I like how you can feel the depth of the stamped and painted images on the background.
Next is the piece of Seasonal Impressions Kraft-Core. Love this stuff! A long piece of baker's twine gets wrapped around it a couple times, then I adhered it to the page.
Now comes that Queen of Hearts. I embossed her onto watercolor paper, then as Tim did, I used Distress Markers and the water brush to color areas. Now, this looks rather "blah" right now and I didn't really know where I was headed, but kept on plugging along.
It just needed some definition, so I grabbed my blending tool and Black Soot ink and rubbed it over the top and darker on the outer edges. Everything popped right out. But still seemed to need something...
When in doubt, give it a little sparkle. I spritzed over her with Perfect Pearls mist. That seemed to do it.
I popped up the Queen with some foam tape and slide some tissue tape and a wing under the right edge. The cash key with the little Chit-Chat stickers is glued down so it won't swing around. My Love tag was stamped with Archival Black, then I swiped some Vintage Photo around the edges and Victorian Velvet in the center, then Black Soot on the outer edges.
I hope you're giving Tim's technique's a try this year with the 12 Tags of 2013. You'll be surprised how much you learn and how much fun you have!
Thanks for stopping in today. Have a great day!