Brick Wall Christmas Tag - for Eclectic Paperie

In the wee hours of this morning, I was playing with a product (new to me) that I think I am now addicted to: Embossing Paste. I have to admit, I was a bit intimidated at first, but quickly found out this stuff is super easy and fun to use. I discovered it through Eclectic Paperie along with stencils by Studio 490/Wendy Vecchi. 


Using the Brick Wall stencil, I created this quick Christmas tag. 
Let me show you how easy it was to make.



I cut a tag from brown Kraft-Core card stock by Tim Holtz. Love this stuff. Then on my non-stick craft sheet, I taped the stencil in place over the tag.



Using an artist's palette knife, I spread the embossing paste on the entire surface. You could also use a butter knife or a cake spatula. I just happened to have one of these tools in my stash from my old watercoloring days.



To achieve a rough brick look, I spread the paste on rather generously and then used the palette knife to make little waves and texture.



You have to peel up the stencil right after you've spread the paste. Clean your palette knife and stencil right away. I ran them under the sink with cool water and they cleaned up beautifully.



Depending on the thickness, drying times will differ. Mine took about an hour. 



I left it to dry while I created a lamp post, wreath and cardinal. Then I realized that the embossing paste looked a lot like snow so I brushed some on with a fat paint brush here and there. It doesn't paint on, you have to blob it on and push it around.



Once my bricks were dry, I blended over them with Fired Brick Distress Ink.



Then to deepen up the color, I went over it with Vintage Photo.



To give the bricks a little sparkle, I rubbed Clear Rock Candy Distress Stickles over the surface with my finger. A messy but fun job.



I colored two pieces of crinkle ribbon. This one with Fired Brick and Vintage Photo Distress Stains.



The other with Peeled Paint, Faded Jeans, and Vintage Photo.



Here's another look at the tag completed. 



Thanks for stopping by today. Make sure you shop with Eclectic Paperie for your supplies to make this tag. And visit their blog for even more inspiration from other design team members using the eclectic products they carry.

Comments

  1. Isn't the paste the most fun ever! Love, love, love it! Darling project...Love the brick wall with the latern, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great technique! I have a whole jar of the paste in my stash and now you've encouraged me to use it for some Christmas tags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous tag Annette. Love the textures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, eee, I don't know! I love the tag - it's amazing and wonderful and I'd be afraid to even touch it! LOL

    Thank you for explaining the process - it doesn't look too bad, just a little bit scary! (tee,hee).

    Hugs, Annette - awesome work!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com