Inspiration comes from all around us. For my project today, it was bees. Anyone who knows me knows that I have this odd obsession with bees. There's just something about them that makes me happy. See this older post too.
So when I received some bee goodies from Eclectic Paperie I couldn't wait to get started on something fun with a bee theme. Out to the garage I went to my stash of alterable items to see what I could dig up and make into something pretty. I tend to collect just about anything that I can alter in some way, either at the store, garage sales, thrift shops, you name it.
I decided on this cigar box.
And turned it into this.
I started with a coat of Gesso just to prep the surface. (You can see how excited I was to get started. I didn't even take the time to pull off the hardware closure on the front of the box.)
Then a coat of creamy, off-white acrylic paint. (Still haven't bothered to pull that hardware off yet.)
Then I started adhering hexagons cut from My Mind's Eye "Honey" paper. I used Glue and Seal matte finish. After it dried, I flipped the box over and with a VERY sharp blade in my Xacto knife, I trimmed away the excess. Incidentally, each hexagon was ink-distressed with Frayed Burlap Distress ink.
Also in my stash were these small frames that were $1 at Michael's a few months back. I thought this might be nice added to the top of the box somehow.
I thought it needed some color so I embossed it with Antique Linen Distress Embossing Powder. It looks a bit more yellow here than in person, so I was pleased with the outcome so far.
I thought it needed a little variegation though, so I tried out some Latte Alcohol Ink here and there was that seemed to do the trick.
I added a snippet of one of the papers in the same collection inside the frame, then adhered a Art Parts bee which I painted and then stamped with the bee image from the Art for You stamp set by Wendy Vecchi.
For some corner adornment, I painted these guys with Salmon paint, then buffed away some paint to allow the metal to show through.
I did the same to the box feet too.
Then I started adorning the top of the box with buttons. I love to layer smaller buttons on larger ones. These are all from Tim Holtz's Idea-ology.
After adhering the frame unit, I added some small flowers and leaves in clusters.
Here's a look at the top of the box. As for the inside, I'll eventually get to that. I plan to give this to my mother for Christmas (although I secretly want to keep it). Thank goodness she doesn't (know how to) follow my blog, otherwise it's not going to be a surprise.
Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you have a fantastic day. Bee happy!