12 Tags of Christmas TAG 1

It's that time of year again. One of my favorite things about the holidays! It's Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of Christmas. I love waking up each morning looking forward to what Tim has created and then spending a few hours creating something myself inspired by his. 


Here's Tim's Tag #1...


Be sure to go to Tim's blog and follow through all the steps to make this tag. Today he has included a quick video with tips on how to create these mini pinecones from his Tattered Pinecone Alterations Die.


Last year I made a banner rather than tags so I had a festive wall-hanging to enjoy every Christmas. This year I opted for ornaments for our tree. They look a lot like tags, but I used a fancy shaped cut from the CTMH Art Philosophy Cricut cartridge to make mine. 


More on that in a bit. First, here's my ornament #1...



I wish the word "Noel" stood out a little more in this photo, but in person it appears much better.





This is the base image on the Cricut cartridge. It's Oval 5 on page 62 in the booklet. I cut the shape from thin cardboard using a deep cutting blade and going over it twice. I cut another from the same Kraft Kore cardstock Tim used. (Special thanks to Tim himself for giving out a FREE pack of this great cardstock on the Caribbean Cruise!) And I cut a third one from plain Kraft cardstock for the back. I wanted to be sure this felt like an ornament and not a tag. It's pretty sturdy now.




Okay, now I am not above admitting to failure and this is a good example. Check out this hot mess! I don't exactly know where things went awry, but they did. So I ditched this one and tried something else. This is one of the things I enjoy blogging about when making Tim's tags because it helps demonstrate that things don't always go as planned and there are ways around it. Also to share how to make do with what you've got if you don't got what Tim's got. (Grammar teachers cringing.)





Maybe it was because I used a Cuttlebug embossing folder rather than Tim's? 
I didn't have the Snow Flurries Texture Fade that Tim used. But then I remembered the strip of snowflakes in the Christmas Backgrounds and Borders set and used it instead. I just turned it this way and that each time I ran it through the Vagabond.





I didn't want to chance wasting another piece of this yummy Kraft Kore cardstock, so I steered clear of the white embossing powder and used Glitter powder instead. Then I hit it with some Snow Cap White paint dabber. Hard to see it here, but the results were good.




Here's another look at the finished ornament. It's on my tree already. 


Can't wait for tomorrow! Thanks for stopping by.





Comments

  1. Beautiful ornament! Great take on Tim's tag.
    Hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the idea of making ornaments out of the tags, Annette! Just might have to do something along these lines! TFS! You rock, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have used that "hot mess" first background ornament you made...you must be an Artist and know which ones to keep (how does Tim's stamp say it?)...anyway, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annette, your ornament turned out beautiful!!! :) Thanks for playing along.... (still wish we were on the big boat!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning - what a lovely idea to make Christmas decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing your mishaps - I would never have known you had any!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an unusual form tag!
    background just fine! and what a beautiful pendant ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is adorable! Love the shape of tag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love nearly everything about your tag (I guess you've decided for reshaping because you want to use these little things as ornaments for the tree?)! It is so neat, beautiful and, godness, it's shape!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Annette, after admiring your beautiful ornament and watching Tim's video...I have broken down and ordered myself the Sizzix die to make pine cones. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely ornament. Thanks for sharing the mishap. It is good to remember that things don't always work out how we planned. Great way to "embrace imperfection ":)

    Jani
    papercompulsions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your take on Tim's tags. Very cool to make tree ornaments. Great idea - and I think I'm going to "borrow" it! Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com