Friday, March 11, 2011

Frugal Friday Coaster Card & A Winner!

Good morning bloggers. I've got a winner this morning from yesterday's giveaway and I'm getting right to it! Congratulations to MEL who left a nice comment yesterday. She has won a Close To My Heart Mayberry Workshop on the Go Kit. So Mel, hope you're reading today, because I need your address. Please e-mail me: AnnetteGreen@bellsouth.net

Thank you to ALL of yesterday's visitors who left those great comments. I'm thrilled to have reached 200 followers and to know that I have inspired so many of you. It's such a great payback! Thanks!!

Today's Frugal Friday project starts off with these plain white coasters...


To do this project you don't have to have plain white ones. If you go to Chili's or The Outback, they usually slap a pile of coasters down on your table that you can slide right into your purse. That's not stealing, is it? And even if they have all kinds of artwork printed on them, you're going to cover them up anyways. I happened to have these plain ones leftover from a buy-in about five years ago. They've been just sitting in a drawer.

Here's the project I made with three of the coasters...


I was inspired by the easel cards I've been receiving and see online a lot lately. You'll get a better idea of how it looks in a minute.




I started off with one coaster to make the easel backing. I used my Xacto blade and a ruler and did a few light passes with the knife 1 1/4 inches from the top and 1/2 inch from the bottom. The knife didn't cut all the way through. It's basically a score.



Then I gently folded on those scores. The coaster still holds together fine.



I covered that back piece with pattern paper. In this case, I used CTMH's Bliss paper line. I distressed the edges with Chocolate ink.



Here's a view from the back side. I put this back piece on last, of course, after covering another coaster for the base and decorating the last coaster for the front.



Although these are not the flowers I ended up using on the project, it will show you how I built the flowers. I used Tim Holtz's Tattered Florals Alterations die and cut three of one flower and two of another. It appears there are five different flowers here, but I simply snipped a little off the petals to make them gradually smaller.

I stamped and inked and curled up the petals then piled them on one anther to make a dimensional flower. Pretty easy stuff.



Here's a closer look at a few small flowers with some adhesive pearls in the centers. 


One more look at the finished project so I can share the rest of the details...


With the help of my Spellbinders Labels One dies and Tim Holtz's Tag & Bookplate Alterations die, plus a Sizzlets die for the leaves, this all came together pretty quickly. The stamped sentiment is from Treasure Life (D1306). I used Liquid Glass as my glue for adhering the coasters to one another.

Thanks for stopping by today. Enjoy your weekend!



2 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful! Those flowers are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a beautiful project. Thanks for the tutorial. I am going to give this one try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you'd like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteGreen@me.com.