12 Tags of Christmas - #9


Wow! I have to say that this tag, by far, is my absolute favorite of Tim's this year! I love this one. Love the bling, love the colors, love the tinsel!

(Just in case you've been living under a rock for the past few days, I'm talking about Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of Christmas. If you haven't yet, you need to go to his blog and check 'em out. He's got step-by-step photos, videos, and extra techniques. It's a smorgasbord over there!)

Here is Tim's tag #9...


It's so awesome, I can't stand it!

Now here's my take on it (I'm doing a banner eventually, therefore each of my "tags" is actually a pennant)...



Be sure to go to Tim's blog and check out everything because I'm going to show you only what I did differently, rather than each and every step. He's already done that for you!



First off, since my tag is a triangle, I decided to stamp the sheet music on an angle. I didn't have Heirloom Gold Spritz, but I did have regular Gold. Big mistake!



Do over. This time I used Perfect Pearls "Perfect Bronze".  Much better. I ink distressed with Walnut Stain. (this has become my favorite ink color!)



I didn't have Tim's "Upon a Time" die strip to cut out the letters, so I just stamped mine and embossed them with black embossing powder. Believe me, I was holding my breath, since I didn't want to mess up the work I'd already done. You'll also notice that I hammered my brads at the bottom tip of the pennant and only used five.



Here's a closer look. Is it me, or do the letters appear to be floating? (perhaps I've had too much wine). This alphabet stamp is "Charm Lowercase" from Close To My Heart.



For Tim's rosette, he used his rosette die and his Seasonal paper stack. Unfortunately I don't have the die or the paper (YET), but I have figured out an easy way to make the rosette (although not as easy as using a die) and I do have his Lost & Found paper stack which has this sheet music in it!



I cut a 1 1/2 x 12 inch strip, then used my Fiskars scallop scissors along one long edge.



Then I scored along each scallop, then scored again between each of those scores. If that doesn't make sense, you might want to check out my paper folding technique video on YouTube at this link. Or you can just go buy Tim's die and watch his video on his blog today.



These are so much fun to make! I wanna make a hundred, but it's almost time for dinner...



I happened to have some older buttons in a jar, so I was happy about that. I love how Tim put tinsel around his rosette and then added the heart and crown charms. I had those!!!



Tim's baubles are at the top of his tag, but with my pennant they seemed better at the bottom. Don't you think?



Here's another look at my finished "tag." I can't tell you how excited I am thinking about connecting all these into one long banner! I'll treasure this forever.

Thanks for looking. Enjoy your evening.

Comments

  1. Very cool! This is Jody's fav also. I thought you had Tim's letter die? I used it at your house? Whose was it then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my stars, your tag is gorgeous!!! Each day I think Tim's new tag is the best one, and they just get better and better. Yours is amazingly beautiful! Love how you're making triangular pennants instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Charmin: I have his other letter die called Vintage Market. A different style. And to answer your previous question, each pennant measures about 6 x 6 inches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. Mah. Gawd. I love your interpretation, and how you're doing Tim's elements Your way! Found you because you tagged Tim on your photos on facebook, and I'm glad you did. You're so clever. Now I've got to go keep reading the rest of your pennant posts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What FUNN! Both versions are beautiful. Love your didactic nature and tutorials, Annette.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. VERY COOL Annette, that one was my favorite too. Am really getting excited to get to Charmin's so we can start our tags, or banner, I guess we are making a banner like yours. We thought that was a better idea than just leaving the tags lay in a drawer all year, lol. I also figured out a way to make a mini wreath. Mine look so close to real. I am selling them on my blog (ascrappingdiva.blogspot.com) if you want to check it out. They turned out so cute. Love them!! Thanks for sharing your inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @FUNN: Thank you for teaching me a new word today. I'm betting you can guess which one. Thanks for the laudation. (impressed?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!! I love your pennants Annette! Great job working the Tim Holtz vibe with a CTMH spin (as well as your own spin). After seeing that rosette die I went looking for one of my own. Sold out! So I sort of did what you did but clearly am not mathematical enough (or didn't pay much attention to Tim's instructions) because I used a 12 inch long strip, which caused me to end with two "ups" instead of opposites. Oh well, used it any way! I also scored mine every 1/4 inch...what a time consuming project that was! I wanted to see what would happen if I edge distressed it before folding, have to say it looks awesome! I used liquid glass to hold mine together but it did take some time to dry so it wouldn't spring apart. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE your pennants!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are knocking my socks off!!!! Girl this is amazing!!! I must ask can I please scraplift this banner idea too!!!! I would love to make something like this for the scrapbook store...OMW I can't wait to see what you do with the new CTMH Banner we get to play with soon...shhhhh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com