Turkey Trotters & Family


Happy Thanksgiving! Today is Thanksgiving #2 for us. A small-scale version of yesterday with my in-laws. Yesterday was the Wolf Family day at my brother's house. Our day started off with the Turkey Trot 5K right in our beautiful Suntree community. I've run this for four years now, and Paul has for three, Jamie for two. We love this on Thanksgiving Day because we get that morning work-out in, then we can pig out on the feast! Jamie was feeling very independent this year and asked if she could run on her own in the 5K. The original plan was for her to run with Dad again like last year, but she wanted to do it solo. I was SO proud that she hung in there and ran it in even better time than last year: 33.20, I think. Paul was always about 150 yards ahead of me and no matter what I did, I couldn't catch him. So he finished well in his age group: 25.25, and I finished in 26.40. Not terrible for an old lady of 45, but I had hoped to beat my time from last year which was 25.40. There were close to 500 runners this year and the morning started off rainy and chilly, but cleared up as soon as the race began. It's such an exhilarating feeling to run in that big crowd! And the best part is the entry fees go toward the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.


Here's the Wolf pack from Thanksgiving dinner. My sister-in-law Brenda outdid herself this year with SO many delicious creations, one of them being a yellow squash casserole that was outstanding! My nephew Derek and his girlfriend Kristen (taking the photo) made a unique cranberry sauce with pineapple, oranges and pecans in it that I loved. My brother Steve smoked a turkey outside all night the night before, setting his alarm every two hours to get up and do whatever it is you do when you smoke a bird (stoke it? add more liquid?) Anyway, that smoked turkey was perfect! My sister-in-law roasted another turkey in the oven the traditional way and it was excellent. I brought a sweet potato casserole that seemed to impress (Cooking Light, Nov. 2009) complete with maple syrup, mini-marshmallows, and pecans on top. Yum!

We spent the non-feasting time watching football, playing pool, talking, laughing and drinking. Just like it should be. I hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving too.

Comments